01 Sep Baked Asparagus
It’s Asparagus season! It doesn’t get much easier — or more delicious — than this baked asparagus recipe. The entire dish comes together on a baking sheet, including the creamy, lemon-infused sauce.
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, grated on a Microplane grater (1 teaspoon)
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus, about 1/3 to 1/2-inch in diameter, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh tender herbs (such as basil, tarragon, and flat-leaf parsley)
Preheat oven to 200°C. Grate the zest of lemon into a small bowl; stir in oil and garlic. Cut the ends off the lemon and discard. Slice lemon into thin rounds. Toss together asparagus, lemon slices, and oil mixture on a large-rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to evenly coat. Spread out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake asparagus for 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash together butter and cheese in a small bowl until combined.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spoon the butter mixture evenly over the asparagus. Toss using tongs until evenly coated and the mixture forms creamy sauce; spread in an even layer. Return asparagus to oven and bake until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer asparagus to a serving platter. Spoon the butter mixture from the baking sheet over the asparagus. Sprinkle with herbs.